I’ve been using the Starskin The Master Cleanser Detoxing Sea Kelp Leaf Cleansing Foam for nearly two weeks now, and loving that super-clean yet non-drying effect it has on my ‘skin. I was therefore very excited about giving this mask a go.
The Starskin Master Cleanser Detox Sea Kelp Leaf Face Mask, although also based on traditional organic Korean beauty rituals, is very uniquely different from any other sheet mask I’ve used in the past.
First off, the mask itself is hand-cut from real sea kelp leaf and it takes 1,300 hours to make! The mask is drenched in a hydrating essence made of 90.37% organic plant extracts and uses a total of 31 organic ingredients.
“This multi-action treatment cleverly combines a naturally purifying seaweed base with a super-moisturizing, anti-aging serum.” – Starskin website.
- For fresh, radiant and wrinkle-free skin like Hollywood stars (as per mask leaflet)
- Skin detox
- 72 hour hydration
- Natural organic skincare ingredients from Korea
- Sea Kelp: draws out toxins from the skin, and has a naturally cooling effect that helps shrink stubborn pores.
- Fenugreek Seed: Reduces blemishes and redness.
- Cold-pressed Camellia Oil: protects, nourishes and moisturises skin.
- Anti-aging Centella Asiatica: tones, tightens and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Fermented Chlorella: repairs and smoothens the complexion.
Tezzy’s Experience with the Starskin Master Cleanser Detox Sea Kelp Leaf Face Mask
You can smell seaweed as soon as this pack is ripped open. Being a fan of Japanese teas, I rather like this scent. I also love the idea of using real sea kelp leaves for the mask itself, so environmentally friendly!
The mask is divided into two portions; one for the upper portion of the face with peepers for the eyes and nostrils, and the other for the cheeks, mouth and chin. The mask is super easy to put on, and has a soothingly cooling effect on the skin.
However, given the two portions of the mask overlap in the middle, I found mine kept slipping every so often from the corners. You therefore cannot afford to multi-task with this one on, a pretty good excuse to just sit pretty and do nothing for 15 minutes if you ask me!
The mask is drenched in serum (25 ml to be precise), but thankfully it is not overflowing in it. I wiped on some access onto my decolletage, and as suggested by the packaging, after my 15 minutes were up, I flipped over the two mask pieces and let them rest on my neck for a few additional minutes of coolness.
I wiped off access serum (there wasn’t that much) with some cotton wool, and found it had a pale green colouring (probably from the sea kelp itself). On caareful inspection, I saw my face had taken on a pale green (almost Hulk-like!) tinge! I kept it on regardless as I wasn’t planning to go out that evening, but you might want to consider rinsing it off .
Right after taking off the mask, my face felt incredibly refreshed, cool, smooth and tightened up. It is a great weekly mask to restore and rejuvenate, and I felt its after-effects even 2 days after use (the mask promises to work its magic 72 hours on… I’ll have to get back to you on that!).
What I LOVE about this mask:
- It is free of any harsh chemical preservatives, and uses a whopping 31 organic ingredients!
- The sea kelp feels deliciously cooling on the skin.
- You can see and feel the results right away! My complexion felt very hydrated and refreshed.
- Although very easy to put on, the sea kelp makes this mask alot thicker than average sheet masks, and tends to slip off. You have to sit still… very, very still!
- The instructions say you can rinse off the serum or just wipe away access and keep the remaining on. I did the later and found it has a very pale green tinge that can look a little odd if you are planning to go out right way!
Overall, this is a great weekly mask that ticks all the boxes it promises. I love the foam, and am now planning to use this mask more often… and will also be checking out more products from the Starskin range.
The Starskin range is exclusively available in all leading Sephora stores across the Middle East.