I’ve always been a fan of mud masks. Nothing seems to work quite as well at really pulling out the excess grime that a daily scrub and face-wash fail to retrieve. However, in most cases, slapping on a mud mask can be a messy affair that is often reserved as a specified weekend chore.
I am already a huge fan of StarSkin face masks, and was therefore absolutely elated to receive samples of their brand new clay face masks. But wait! These are in sheet mask format. How does that work? I was intrigued.
I tried out the STARSKIN SILKMUD™ Green Tea Clay Anti-Aging Liftaway Mud Face Sheet Mask this weekend. It is also available in a Pink French Clay variant which I will review here next.
“Developed to leave skin looking as though you have turned back time, the Silkmud Green Tea Clay Anti Ageing Liftaway Mud Face Sheet Mask is an anti-ageing hero. The gentle gauze sheet mask is infused with an array of skin-loving ingredients that work in harmony to deliver an instantly lifted and hydrated finish. The unique formula helps keep skin looking brightener and rejuvenated with the reduced appearance of fine lines and other give-away signs of ageing.” – Sephora website.
- Kaolin Clay – Cleanses the skin, whilst reducing the appearance of enlarged pores and inflammation.
- Green Tea Powder – An antioxidant rich ingredient that works to protect, restore and prevent the signs of ageing.
- Silk Cocoon – Reduces the appearance of wrinkles for a smoother and more youthful appearance.
- Hydrolyzed Collagen – Helps to hydrate dry and damaged skin.
- Tremella Mushroom – Works to plump the skin to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Mulberry – Brightens the skin’s surface whilst harbouring anti-bacterial properties.
- Purslane – Calms and soothes the skin with its antioxidant rich properties.
- Licorice Roots – Reduces inflammation and increases melanin production to result in healthier looking skin.
Tezzy’s Experience with the STARSKIN SILKMUD™ Green Tea Clay Anti-Aging Liftaway Mud Face Sheet Mask
I could get the characteristic whiff of green tea as soon as I ripped into the packaging. Till date, all the sheet masks I have had the pleasure of using have been drenched in serum. This one, being a mud mask, has a mixture resembling wet mud yet the pale green colouring looks very swamp-like and reminds me of Shrek (my five year-old even commented I looked like the friendly ogre when I had it on!).
Given it isn’t as wet and slippery like serum-drenched sheet masks, the STARSKIN SILKMUD™ Green Tea Clay Anti-Aging Liftaway Mud Face Sheet Mask is far easier to put on. It also adheres to the skin better.
The mask is dived into two parts; the upper part has holes for the eyes, and the lower part adjusts for the mouth and nose. I guess this is to ensure the mask fits a wide range of face shapes.
The recommended time for this mask is 20 minutes, or 40 ‘if you want to maximize the dramatic lifting and contouring effect’ as per the package. Ofcourse I went for the full 40!
I could feel the mask starting to tighten up and dry 15 minutes in. By the time I was ready to take it off, I literally had to peel it off my face. It is therefore very important not to get this sheet onto the eyebrows or hairline!
Peeling it off has a major exfoliating effect on the skin. I won’t lie, it was slightly painful and my skin did look a little agitated right after.
As it is a mud mask, it leaves a thin powdery coating on the skin. Unlike usual sheet masks, you have to rinse this one off. After a splash of cold water, my skin looked and felt very thoroughly cleaned.
On closer inspection, I could see my pores looked clearer and less noticeable, and my troubled T-zone felt evened out and mattified.
I have normal to dry skin, and although this mask claims to cleanse without drying, I found myself reaching out for my face cream right after I cleansed.
Overall, I would highly recommend this mask as a weekly treatment. It works great for a thorough cleanse, and gives you the confidence to look at your complexion close-up! If you have oily skin, you can use this mask more often.
I love the idea of combining a mud mask as a sheet mask. It takes the messiness out of regular mudding, and pulling off that mask (albeit slightly painful) acts as a great way to exfoliate in one swift action!
- Loaded with skin-loving ingredients.
- Easy to use.
- The sheet mask eliminates the mess of a regular mud mask.
- Really delivers on its promise of a thorough cleanse.
- Pulling off the mask can be a tad bit painful, and I wouldn’t recommend it for very sensitive skin types.
- It felt drying on my skin.
- Takes longer than regular sheet masks.
Product Pricing & Availability
The STARSKIN SILKMUD™ Green Tea Clay Anti-Aging Liftaway Mud Face Sheet Mask retails for AED 50 per mask, and is available at all Sephora stores across the Middle East. Sephora now has an online store, so you can even buy it directly by clicking on this link.