Chef Vardon has been kind enough to share the recipe for one of his signature dishes with us; John Dory with Shellfish Garnish & Salted Butter Shavings. I hope you give this fine-dining dish a try at home!
The John Dory with Shellfish Garnish & Salted Butter Shavings is one of Fréderic Vardon’s signature dishes, it combines shellfish, spinach and John Dory, seasoned with a green sauce whisked in butter. Some salt butter curls add finesse and elegance to the plate.
For the sea bass:
- 2 pieces John Dory
For the shellfish and sauce:
- 1kg razor clams
- 1kg cockles
- 1 kg mussels
- 3 pieces shallots
- Garlic, thyme, peppercorns
For the Spinach:
- 1 pack of spinach
- Scale, trim and prepare the fish. Fillet and trim.
- Shellfish and sauce
- Blanch in vegetable broth with minced shallots, peppercorns, thyme and crushed garlic the razor clams, once opened rid, peel while still hot, cool. Slice diagonally.
- Cook the cockles and mussels “à la marinière”, set aside, keep the cooking juice, peel while still hot.
- Reduce the cooking juice, cream, reduce and whisk in butter, set aside.
- Remove the stalks from the spinach, wash and spin dry.
- In a large casserole dish, stew the spinach in butter along with a clove of gaarlic that has been pricked with a fork.
- Drain, and set aside.
To Plate Up:
- Reheat the spinach in a frying pan with a little butter.
- Reheat the shellfish in a sauté pan with a little Pochon sauce and white stock. Do not boil.
- Brown one side of the sea bass on a pan, and oven bake at 180 °C for 4 minutes.
- In a shallow round plate, place the spinach around the shells and pour the sauce over the roasted sea bass.