I’ve been on a Matcha Green Tea high lately. I’ve had it in traditional tea form, as an iced tea, and even as a Nice-Cream (click here if you missed out on the recipe). I’ve even incorporated it into my beauty regime!
This DIY Matcha Green Tea Peel Off Mask is super easy to make, costs you peanuts, feels absolutely divine, and works wonders at restoring that lost glow.
All you need is:
- 3 tablespoons of Matcha Green Tea powder (you can also substitute it with regular Green Tea, but Matcha Green Tea is loaded with far more antioxidants. Click here for more info on the benefits of Matcha).
- 2 tablespoons Agar Agar* (previously soaked in a glass of water for 10 minutes, then drained)
- 1/2 cup water
*What is Agar Agar you ask? Agar Agar is a sea algae extract that is used for thickening desserts and other condiments. It is a healthier vegetarian alternative to regular Gelatine (and sets much faster too!). I’ve used it in this mask to give it a gel-like thickness. Agar Agar is easily available at your local Asian grocery stores, and I bought mine from Lulu.
- In a saucepan, bring the water to rolling boil.
- Add the Agar Agar and Matcha Green Tea powder.
- Whisk till the Agar Agar has dissolved.
- Allow to cool till bearably warm.
Caution: Don’t let this mixture over-cool or you’ll end up with jelly-like goop that is impossible to put on as a mask!
While the mask is still warm, use an applicator brush (I use my MAC 190 foundation brush) and apply evenly onto a cleansed face. The warmth of the mask will open up the pores allowing the antioxidants of the Matcha Green Tea to work its magic.
Green Tea works wonders at removing the puffiness under the eyes, so try to get as close to the under-eye area as you possibly can.
Allow the mask to cool on the face. It will feel very soothingly cool after a while, and takes on a gel-like consistency.
Peel off the mask after 20 minutes. Your complexion will look visibly refreshed, hydrated and glowing!