This wee bowl might look like a pile of poop, but let me tell you its absolutely loaded with a truck-full of healthful goodness. To top it off, its a super easy 2-ingredient recipe that you can easily whip up for a breakfast on the go.
Matcha Green Tea ‘Nice-Cream’ Recipe
You will need:
– 1 and a 1/2 ripe bananas, sliced and frozen
– 2 tablespoons Matcha Green Tea
– A very durable blender (I use the Nutri Ninja)
All you have to do is:
1) Take the banana slices out of the freezer, and allow to thaw for approximately 10 minutes.
2) Place bananas in the blender along with the Matcha Green Tea powder, and whizz.
3) Serve immediately. For added sweetness, you can drizzle on a bit of honey or maple syrup.
The texture of this healthful dessert is very similar to ice-cream (hence its called ‘nice-cream’!). Yet its dairy-free, sugar-free, gluten-free and vegan-friendly 🙂
And why use Matcha Green Tea? Here’s 10 great reasons why you might consider sipping on this wonderful Japanese import more often:
10 Healthful Benefits of Matcha Green Tea
1. Tastes great! How many of the ‘good for you’ supplements have you had that actually taste great? Matcha Green Tea is refreshingly delicious with its unique vegetative notes, making it a pleasure to sip even sans milk and sugar.
2. High in Antioxidants. We need these for fighting against the negative effects of UV radiation, to keep our skin looking young and supple, and to keep a whole list of life-threatening diseases at bay. Just one cup of Matcha Green Tea gives you over 5 times as many antioxidants as any other food!
3. Matcha Green Tea has 60% Catechin, EGCg. Not all antioxidants are created equal. Green tea contains a specific set of organic compounds known as catechins. Among antioxidants, catechins are the most potent and beneficial. One specific catechin called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCg) makes up 60% of the catechins in Matcha Green Tea, and is widely recognized for its cancer fighting properties.
4. Contains L-Theanine for Relaxation. This special form of amino acid helps with relaxation without the side-effect of drowsiness. It is no wonder that Chinese Daoists and Japanese Zen Buddhist monks have been sipping Matcha Green Tea for centuries to help with meditation.
5. Boosts Memory and Concentration. Yet another side-effect of L-Theanine, Matcha Green Tea boosts memory recall and stimulates an overall sense of calm.
6. Increases Energy Levels and Endurance. The Samurai warriors of Japan, drank Matcha Green Tea before going into battle. The tea has always been renowned for its energizing properties. While all green tea naturally contains caffeine, the energy boost received from Matcha is largely due to its unique combination of other nutrients. The increased endurance from a bowl of Matcha Green Tea can last up to 6 hours and because of the effects of L-Theanine, Matcha drinkers experience none of the usual side-effects of stimulants such as nervousness and hypertension.
7. Burns Calories. Matcha Green Tea has been proven to increase metabolism and help with fat burn.
8. Detoxifies the Body. Matcha has a beautifully deep green colour as this special tea is very high in chlorophyll. This acts as a powerful detoxifier, capable of naturally removing heavy metals and chemical toxins from the body.
9. Fortifies the Immune System. Apart from being rich in catechins that promote overall health,, just one bowl of Matcha Green Tea provides substantial quantities of Potassium, Vitamins A & C, Iron, Protein, and Calcium.
10. Improves Cholesterol. Studies of different populations show that people who drink Match Green Tea on a regular basis have lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol while at the same time displaying higher levels of HDL (good) cholesterol.
And why have Matcha Green Tea in this ‘Nice-Cream’ form with bananas?
5 Healthful Benefits of Eating Bananas
1. High in Potassium. This essential mineral regulates heart function and blood pressure, and keeps the risk of heart disease at bay.
2. Great Source of Energy. Bananas are rich in natural sugars and soluble fiber. This combination ensures a slow, stable energy release and is ideal as a pre-workout snack.
3. Improved Digestion. The high fiber content in bananas keeps your bowels regulated.
4. High in Vitamin B6. This is essential for creating hemoglobin, needed for making healthy blood.
5. Prevents Heartburn. Bananas help balance the stomach’s pH levels, and enhance the protective mucus layer, relieving pain. The fiber content also moves food through the digestive tract faster, thus preventing reflux.
So there you go… a whole list of healthful benefits from this easy-peasy 2-ingredient recipe (that only looks like poop!).
You can come up with many other versions of Nice-Cream by substituting the Matcha Green Tea with frozen fruit (love it with mixed berries!), have it plain with bananas, or add a scoop of raw cacao powder for a healthy vegan Chocolate Nice-Cream 🙂
Nice-Creams are a great way of using up over-ripe bananas (infact, the riper the better!). Just slice and freeze, and these can last for a couple of months at a stretch.
Ice-cream for breakfast?! Totally doable the ‘nice’ way 🙂