Let’s face it, organic skincare is big business these days. Many new brands are coming out of the woodwork banking on keywords like ‘natural’, ‘organic ingredients’ and even ‘superfoods’. Our beauty shelves are exploding with options, but take a good, close look at the labels and you will still find many incomprehensible names on the ingredients list, and only a minute percentage of the key ingredients they boldly print on the front label.
I am a skincare addict. I proudly admit I bought into the ‘natural skincare’ bandwagon well before it was a trend, and have been studying ‘good for you’ skincare ingredients with so much an inquisitive gusto that I’ve been whipping up DIY Face Masks for as long as I can remember.
As my obsession with natural beauty matured, I’ve moved on to the study of essential oils and the marriage of different scents to enhance a certain frame of mind. I always buy mine from Neal’s Yard Remedies as I trust their high standards of quality, and they have the largest range of essential oils that I know of in Dubai.
But here’s another reason I love Neal’s Yard Remedies… apart from their essential oils and wide range of near-100% organic skincare products, they also stock equally good organic skincare brands from around the world.
I recently discovered the Nourish Skincare Range at my local Neal’s Yard Remedies store. Like NYR, Nourish is also conceptualized and created in the UK and the premise of the brand extends beyond organic beauty. Nourish is proudly vegan and cruelty-free, and is also certified by the UK’s leading organic certification body, the Soil Association.
“Choosing biodegradable ingredients and plant extracts from organic farming is just one aspect of this. Our ethically sourced, vegan range innovatively combines the highest quality natural extracts with advanced scientific bio-actives to achieve award-winning results.” – Nourish website.
Here’s a look at two of my very first products from Nourish:
Nourish Kale 3D Cleanse Review
Yes, this is a facial cleanser enriched with the much-hyped superfood kale! But what makes it even more exciting is the fact that this foam cleanser actually changes color as you cleanse your face.
It goes from a cloudy white to a pale green almost instantly. The texture is very light and foamy, and it has a strong yet pleasant scent of a bouquet of essential oils.
Lifts impurities and reveal healthy, radiant skin. Detoxifies and protects against pollution, helping to minimize signs of ageing.
- Kale and Griffonia: detoxify and protect against pollution, minimizing the signs of aging.
- Hylauronic Acid, Probiotics and Oxygenating Extracts: to refresh the skin.
- The Nourish Kale 3D Cleanse contains hylauronic acid, probiotics and oxygenating extracts, so it doesn’t leave the skin feeling stripped after cleansing.
- The Nourish Cleanse is guilt-free as it contains 70% organic ingredients, is cruelty-free and suitable for vegans.
- It’s color-changing! The ritual of massaging it into the face as it turns a lovely pale green is both therapeutic and makes you cleanse just that bit longer ensuring a thorough cleanse every time.
- I love the pump dispenser. It makes the application so much more hygienic and the foamy texture is also a delightful plus for me.
- Love the scent of essential oil, and its sans anything artificial.
- My face feels thoroughly cleansed without the tight dryness I often feel from my regular cleansers.
- The scent of essential oils, although very pleasant, can be a little overpowering for sensitive noses.
- For a 100 ml pump bottle, the price tag of AED 220 is pretty steep but you really are paying for high-quality organic goodness here.
- This face wash claims to remove makeup. Although it is ok for light makeup, I wouldn’t rely on it solely for a party face. Secondly, given the scent of essential oils is quite overpowering, I would be reluctant to use it around the eye area.
Nourish Argan Skin Renew Moisturiser
I’ve used raw argan oil on my face, and loved it. I am a sucker for facial oils, and my current favorite (that has been my basic night moisturiser for over a year now) is rosehip oil.
For day, I keep changing moisturisers, and was pretty excited to use this one from Nourish, especially because it claims to be 85% organic.
“Anti-aging treatment with clinically proven 24 hour hydration” (from the Nourish Argan Skin Renew Moisturiser packaging).
- Argan Oil: rich in skin-loving omega
- Tripeptides: for boosting collagen
- Vitamin E: a natural antioxidant to counter signs of aging
- Frankincense, Myrrh and Borrage Oils: to rejuvenate and renew the skin
- First off the packaging. I love the minimalist design and easy to handle size. The pump application ensures it stays hygienic, and the glass bottle prolongs the life of the active organic ingredients.
- I love the texture of this moisturiser. It feels luxe and creamy, yet it absorbs beautifully well into the skin. You can wear a layer of makeup on this pretty much instantly.
- It has a beautiful scent that comes from the mix of essential oils, nothing synthetic here.
- It is 85% organic.
- It claims 24 hour hydration. I would never go through 24 hours without rehydrating my skin, but for the long hours between waking up and a busy day of work (say 14 hours straight), my skin definitely feels plump and hydrated. Even the stark air-conditioning in the office doesn’t make it beg for a whip of moisturiser when I have this on.
- This cream claims to be suitable for all skin types.
- Like everything else from Nourish, the Argan Renew Moisturiser is cruelty-free and suitable for vegans.
- Like the face wash, this moisturiser is pretty expensive! And that too for a wee 50 ml bottle.
- This moisturiser may be too rich for very oily skin types.
Product Pricing & Availability:
The Nourish Skincare Range is available at all Neal’s Yard Remedies stores across the UAE.
The Nourish Kale 3D Cleanse retails for AED 220 for a 100 ml pump bottle.
The Argan Skin Renew Moisturiser retails for AED 170 for a 50 ml pump bottle.