The Songkran festival marks the beginning of the Thai New Year, and like most cultures the world over, the celebration is marked with a feast of traditional dishes.
Chef Sanya from The Royal Budha restaurant has a special Songkran gift for us. He has agreed to share his award-winning Chili Prawns recipe!The Royal Budha’s Wok Fried Chili Prawns is one of the restaurant’s signature dishes. The dish is a play of authentic Thai flavors married in with chili oil and turmeric.
Try Chef Sanya’s recipe in your own kitchen, and invite a taste of Thailand to your table!
The Royal Budha’s Wok Fried Chili Prawns Recipe
- 180 grams prawns
- 20ml chili oil
- 10 gram turmeric powder
- 20 gram Thai celery, chopped
- 20 gram spring onions, chopped
- 30 grams red onion, sliced
- 40 grams capsicum, sliced
- 30ml oyster sauce
- 10 grams sugar
- 10 grams white pepper
- 30ml cooking cream
- 100 grams egg, beaten
- 60ml corn oil
- 100ml chicken stock
- 40 grams tapioca flour
- Marinate the prawns in tapioca flour and pepper.
- Deep-fry the prawns in oil on low heat. Set aside.
- Add garlic to a wok of oil, and stir-fry for a minute or so.
- Add the prawns and all the other vegetables, and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cooking cream, egg and the remaining ingredients.
- Add chicken stock and cook for 2 minutes.
- Plate this dish immediately.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, a drizzle of Thai chili oil and sprinkle over a few chopped Thai chilies.
Serve with Thai jasmine rice.
Chef Sanya Waengdongbang is a Thai national, and has been one of the key players behind the creation of The Royal Budha, Dubai’s award-winning Thai restaurant located in Holiday Inn, Al Barsha. Read more about Chef Sanya on the restaurant’s website.