As beauty buffs, we spend a fortune on facial products. We also splurge on an ever-growing market for body-care, but tend to neglect the delicate area connecting the two; the neck and décolletage.
For those of you not familiar with the term décolletage, this refers to the area of skin exposed above a low-cut neckline. It comprises of the neck, shoulders, back and upper chest.
The neck and décolletage area is a beautiful, feminine and sensual area of a woman’s body, and regular care will keep it looking and feeling that way.
Why does the neck and décolletage area need special care? The skin on this area tends to be much thinner than the rest of the body, and also tends to get maximum exposure to the sun. This area is therefore more prone to showing the first signs of aging.
Simple everyday tips to keep your neck and décolletage looking as great as your face:
- Treat this area as you would your face! Remember to cleanse, tone and moisturize. When outdoors, use sunscreen.
- Exfoliate once a week.
- When using products, use gentle, upward motions for applications.
- One of the golden rules of applying makeup is to always use the same foundation for your face and the neck area. This guarantees a more natural, even look.
- For sexy collarbones akin to size 8 models, use your bronzer on the hollows of the collarbones.
- If you have overly sensitive skin, avoid wearing artificial jewelry for prolonged periods of time.
- Avoid harsh wools and synthetic fabrics around the neck.
As the skin on the neck and décolletage is far thinner than the rest of the body, it might be worth your while investing in some products that are specifically made for this area.
I’ve rounded up three gorgeous skincare products that your neck and décolletage will thank you for.
1) Neal’s Yard Remedies Rejuvenating Frankincense Firming Neck Cream
What is Neal’s Yard Remedies Rejuvenating Frankincense Firming Neck Cream?
- A rich, nourishing cream designed to combat the signs of aging around the neck area.
- Made of 89% organic ingredients.
- Free of synthetic additives and fragrances.
- Suitable for all skin types.
- Made in England.
- Lifts and smoothes all skin-types.
- Contains a special blend of highly effective organic ingredients that work synergistically to firm and tighten the skin around the neck, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and creepy skin.
- Frankincense for skin rejuvenation.
- Firming, nutrient-rich marine algae.
- Elasticity-boosting baobab oil.
- Collagen-stimulating tri-peptide.
Like the rest of the Frankincense range, this product has a gorgeous frankincense scent which I love. The scent is perfect for aromatherapy, and relaxes the mind into a spa-like state. However, the scent may not appeal to all, so have a sniff before you buy.
The texture of the Firming Neck Cream is rich, thick and slightly runny. It soaks into the skin almost immediately, and I noticed a firming sensation on first application itself.
The rich, slightly runny texture makes it ideal for massaging the product into the neck in upward strokes.
This is a beautifully rich cream with a calming scent, a real treat for the neck and décolletage area.
Neal’s Yard Remedies Rejuvenating Frankincense Firming Neck Cream retails for AED 360 for a 50 gram jar, and is available in all Neal’s Yard Remedies outlets across the UAE.
2) Skin Republic’s Neck & Décolletage Repair Mask
I’ve used Skin Republic’s sheet masks for the face before (read my review here). If we can have sheet masks for the face, it was high time someone made one for the neck and décolletage area too!
What is Skin Republic’s Neck & Décolletage Repair Mask?
- This is a nourishing sheet mask for the décolletage area.
- Made in Korea, the skincare capital specializing in sheet masks
- The mask is dermatologist tested, and hypo-allergenic.
- Deep level repair for visibly firmer, smoother and lifted skin.
- Improves skin tone and elasticity.
- Reduces the visible appearance of freckles, age spots and imperfections.
- Regular use of this product promises to make the skin appear brighter and smoother.
- Collagen and CoQ10 to help tighten plump and restore firmness.
- Rice Bran, Mulberry and Liquorice to help reduce the visible appearance of freckles and age spots.
- Aloe Vera, Green tea extract and Vitamin E aid in intensely nourishing and restoring a youthful tone and texture.
- Witch Hazel to stabilize the barrier function of the skin and reduce redness.
- Bearberry/Arbutin, works to brighten and revitalize the skin.
Unfortunately I forgot to click myself with this mask on! Promise to share a pic next time. It sort of looks like a high polo-neck made of thick tissue!
The cotton sheet is drenched in product, and unfolding the mask can be a little messy.
I left the sheet on for 20 minutes as recommended, and it did get a little drier over this period. However, it was still moist and felt like it could even be reused.
Unlike conventional masks, the product does not need to be rinsed off. My neck area still had a little extra product on, and this was actually an advantage as I massaged it into my skin as I would a cream. The product has more of a serum-like consistency.
My skin felt refreshed and noticeably brighter. Only long term use can determine the product’s effectiveness at combatting aging.
This mask can be used on a weekly or fortnightly basis, and is an economical way of showing some love to this oft neglected area.
Skin Republic’s Neck & Décolletage Repair Mask retails for AED 25, and is available in select Boots Pharmacy stores across the UAE.
3) Lovely Jubblies Breast Cream by Lush
When I asked the girls at the Lush store for a product they would recommend for the décolletage, this is what they promptly handed over. I have to admit the mention of breasts made me blush! Was this some kind of sick joke? Then I read the label on the side. This product is made for the neck, décolletage, and ahem, yes the breasts as well. Being a lover of all things Lush, I decided to give this cream a go.
A wise person (i.e. a dermatologist) once said: Your face starts at your nipples. – Elle magazine
Crude as it may sound, the above statement goes to show that as women, we need to look at skincare beyond the face!
What is the Lovely Jubblies Breast Cream?
- Specifically made for enhancing the breasts, giving them a lift and youthful suppleness.
- Can be used for the neck and décolletage area as well.
- Following on from the Lush philosophy, this product is made of high quality organic ingredients.
- It is free of synthetic additives.
- Visibly lifts and tightens the skin.
- Made specifically for sagging breasts.
- Makes the skin softer and more supple.
- Meadowsweet for skin tightening.
- Tiger lily to fight the forces of gravity.
- Skin softening beeswax, organic almond and avocado oils.
- Orange blossom, rose, jasmine and ylang ylang for a refreshing floral scent.
This is a rich, thick cream and a little goes a long way.
The texture looks and feels like freshly whipped butter.
It has a lovely floral scent. I am not a huge fan of floral scents, but this cream smells more like real flowers than a synthetic perfume. The scent is fresh and subtle, and can be likened to walking in a field of wild flowers.
It definitely makes the skin softer and more supple on first application itself. However, I didn’t feel any tightening effect immediately as I had experienced with the Neal’s Yard product above.
I gave this cream a week of trial, and am very impressed! It has definitely improved the texture of my skin, and I’m confident I will see more amazing results once the jar is all gone.
I would recommend this product to any girl looking for a lift, and especially to mummies who have nursed.
Lush’s Lovely Jubblies Breast Cream retails for AED 195 for a 100 gram jar, and is available in all Lush outlets across the UAE.