On a recent trip to India, my husband had a chance encounter with Dalia. No need to get excited, this clandestine affair is strictly one of gluttony (or rather, the need to stray away from it). Dalia is not a pretty young lady, but rather a form of broken wheat. It is near identical to the Middle Eastern Bulghar (although I couldn’t find any articles online that confirmed the two to be the same).
Dalia is high in fibre, low in fat, and its slow absorption keeps you fuller longer and even stabilizes blood sugar levels.
Being so high up in terms of health benefits, you’d think it tastes pretty bland too. However, my husband came home with a super tasty (and super simple) recipe that is ideal for a wholesome breakfast or lunch.
Recipe for Stir-Fried Dalia & Boiled Eggs
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 cup dalia
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 an onion, sliced finely
- 2-3 pods garlic, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup mixed frozen vegetables
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 Al Jazira DHA Omega-3 Golden Eggs, boiled, peeled and halved
- Heat the oil in a pan, and add the onion and garlic. Fry till fragrant.
- Add the vegetables, and stir-fry.
- Add the dalia, fry slightly then add the water.
- Cover and cook till done.
- Serve with the boiled Al Jazira DHA Omega-3 Golden Eggs (2 of these eggs provide 300 mg of brain and skin-loving Omega-3!)
This recipe takes under 10 minutes to prepare, is very wholesome, and best of all, each serving is under 250 calories and keeps you satiated for hours! You can thank me (or rather, my Hubby) later.