The Imperial Suite at Fairmont Dubai took on a beautiful hue of blush pink, and an absolutely stunning array of pink-themed desserts sat on the table infront of me.
However, this was no ordinary afternoon tea, but rather a celebration of the global solidarity in the fight against Breast Cancer.
In association with Friends of Cancer patients, local celebrity designer Arwa Bait-El-Mal who creates stunning modest-style silhouettes under the label Juri Fashion, dressed up 6 brave, beautiful women, all of whom are breast cancer survivors.
View this post on Instagram
#ThinkPink The Imperial Suite at @fairmontdubai took on a beautiful hue of blush pink to celebrate the global solidarity in the fight against #cancer in partnership with @friendsofcancer patients . . . 6 brave, beautiful cancer survivors put on a #fashionshow showcasing the gorgeous new collection by local celebrity designer Arwa Bait-El-Mal @jfjurifashion . . . We indulged in a splendid #pinkthemed afternoon tea, sky-high views of #mydubai and heart-warming tales of courage. Thank-you @fairmontdubai for such a memorable event 💕 . . . . . . #breastcancerawareness #breastcancer #pinkfairmont #friendsofcancerpatients #october #pink #womenofstrength #huffpostwomen #breastcancer #cancer #cancerawareness #healthandwellness #pinkcaravan #octoberpink #pinkoctober #fairmontdubai #fairmonthightea #fairmontimperialsuite
The ladies put up an impromptu fashion show while we snacked on delectable treats and sipped on floral-scented teas.
Lize De Jonge, Programme Manager from Friends of Breast Cancer UAE, gave us a heart-warming talk about the devastating impact of cancer, both on the individual and their families and friends.
We were also introduced to an organic beauty range that is used in the spa treatments at Fairmont Dubai, under the label ‘Aromatherapy Associates London’. What touched me was this very special blend of aromatic oils that one of the co-founders of the brand, Geraldine Howard created. A warrior of breast cancer herself, Geraldine lost her battle to cancer last year, but her beautiful range continues to revive and soothe.
- 1 in 8 women worldwide will be diagnosed with breast cancer once in her lifetime.
- Breast cancer is more common in women, but can occur in men as well.
- Having a close blood relative who has been diagnosed with breast cancer significantly increases your risk.
- There are no surefire ways to prevent breast cancer.
Precautionary Steps to Reduce Your Chances of Cancer
- Healthy Lifestyle: Quit smoking, get active, eat big portions of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Self Check: There are many self-help manuals online on how to check yourself on a regular basis. Early detection saves lives.
- Get a Mammogram: Women over 40 should get a mammogram done every year.