The world of skincare is full of buzzwords. Many come and go, but one that has retained the test of time and gets regularly recommended by respected dermatologits worldwide is Hyaluronic Acid. But what is it exactly, and how can an ‘acid’ be good for our skin?
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Often referred to as the ‘fountain of youth’, Hyaluronic Acid is a naturally occurring fluid in the human body. It is found in high concentrations in our eyes and joints, and is considered the chief glycosaminoglycan in the skin (a fancy word for any naturally-occurring substance that keeps the skin youthfully supple). Hyaluronic Acid works hard at keeping every aspect of skin stable, safeguarded, and constantly renewed.
For medicinal purposes, Hyaluronic Acid is extracted from rooster combs or made by bacteria in the laboratory. Patients take hyaluronic acid for various joint disorders, including osteoarthritis. It can be taken orally, or injected into the affected joint by a healthcare professional.
The FDA has approved the use of hyaluronic acid for certain eye surgeries including cataract removal and other eye-related injuries. It is injected into the eye during the procedure to help replace natural fluids.
Hyaluronic Acid is also used as a lip filler in plastic surgery.
Many skincare enthusiasts apply hyaluronic acid to the skin for healing wounds, burns, skin ulcers, and as a moisturizer.
Hyaluronic Acid for Anti-Aging
Hyaluronic Acid has a very impressive capacity to attract and hold vast amounts of moisture. One gram of hyaluronic acid can hold up to six liters of water. Now this really does make it a miracle worker for the skin!
Hyaluronic acid’s moisture-binding characteristic is exceptionally important when it comes to skin aging. One of the qualities of youthful skin is its ability to hold water and retain a balanced amount of moisture. As we age, our skin loses the ability to maintain this vital, plumping moisture as well as it once did. The result is a visible loss of firmness, pliability, and diminished appearance of plumpness and suppleness.
Hyaluronic acid can enhance moisture content beyond comparison with anything else, and at the same time revitalize skin’s outer layers so they look and feel softer, smoother, and radiantly hydrated. This in turn instantly improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
5 Reasons to Incorporate Hyaluronic Acid into Your Beauty Regime:
- FDA Approved Beauty Ingredient: Beauty buzzwords come and go, but Hyaluronic Acid has remained a firm first for dermatologists worldwide.
- High Capacity Water Retention: Clinically proven, just one gram of Hyaluronic Acid has the capacity to hold up to 6 liters of water! This well and truly earns it the title of ‘fountain of youth’.
- Anti-Aging: Regular use revitalizes the complexion, and aids the skin to retain moisture. This in turn prevents premature aging.
- Suitable for All Skin Types: Hyaluronic Acid is also incredibly gentle, for even the most sensitive, redness-prone skin. In fact, its positive influence on skin’s surface is due in part to its natural calming benefit, which means it can help sensitive skin as well as blemish-prone skin.
- Incredibly Light-Weight: Despite retaining a great deal of moisture on the skin, Hyaluronic Acid is refreshingly lightweight and easy to wear all year long.
Incorporating Hyaluronic Acid into your Beauty Regime:
There are many wonderful skincare products out there that have Hyaluronic Acid added in as a key ingredient. Some of my tried and tested favorites include the following:
- GlamGlow DreamDuo Overnight Transforming Treatment: This deliciously sweet-smelling overnight duo mask works its magic while you sleep. The grey ‘sealing’ mask is enriched with hyaluronic acid to seal in the moisture and coveted ingredients onto the skin. Click here for my complete review. Retails for AED 240 at Sephora Middle East.
- Sephora Hydrating & Quenching Gel Mask: This refreshingly hydrating mask literally is a a big glass of water for parched skin, and works in as little as 5 minutes! Click here for more details. Retails for AED 75 at Sephora Middle East.
View this post on Instagram
Currently my fave gel mask! Thirst quencher for the skin minus the grease by @sephoramiddleeast @madeinsephora . . . . . #madeinsephora #sephoramiddleeast #sephora #facemask #summerskin #summeressentials #beautyessentials #bblog #slave2beauty #makeupjunkie #dubaibeautyblog #beautypost #beautyreview #bblogger #motd #motn #makeupoftheday #beautyedit #beautyjunkie #huffpostwomen #dubaipr #dubaiblog #dubaiblogger #slave2makeup #productphptography #beautyflatlay #flatlay #flatlayaddict
- Sephora Instant Moisture Water Gel with Hyaluronic Acid: Brand new to the ‘Made in Sephora’ bandwagon, this refreshing gel is an absolute treat for parched skin. I wear it under my daily face cream, and it goes perfectly well when paired with the…
- Sephora Instant Moisture + Cream Hyaluronic Acid Booster: An intensely hydrating, light-weight face cream that promises to keep the skin soft, supple and refreshed for 24 hours straight! Click here for more details. Retails for AED 89 at Sephora Middle East.