We took our tastebuds on a culinary tour around the Far East last week thanks to the elaborate spread at Toshi, Grand Millennium – Dubai. Although its name might suggest strong Japanese roots, Toshi is a pan-Asian restaurant offering a delicious fare from Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and China.
You can opt to order a la carte, but a better foodie choice would be to try the restaurant’s buffet. The buffet changes every day of the week, and we were there on a Monday, trying out their Asian Barbeque & Satay Night.
From the entrance to the stunning interiors, Toshi looks every bit the sophisticated upmarket Asian restaurant you’d want to dine at for a special date night. The restaurant is located on the 18th floor of the Grand Millennium hotel, and the floor to ceiling glass windows take full advantage of the spectacular views of the Dubai skyline.
One portion of Toshi features a fully licenced bar; a perfect setting to unwind with a chilled pint after a working day.
We sat at the dining end, strategically close to the buffet spread 😉
The Asian BBQ & Satay Night features a wide range of assorted grills, conveniently served on skewers. They have chicken, beef and mixed seafood skewers, and a selection of dips that are customized for each variety of skewer. My absolute favorite was their Japanese Salmon Skewers. The salmon flesh was the perfect pale pink on the inside, and had a deliciously crispy salted skin to boot.
The BBQ section boasted of a wide array of well-marinated, succulently juicy cuts of meat including lamb, chicken and Peking Duck.
The salad counter at the Toshi buffet takes up almost a quarter of the space. What I loved about this section is the unusual mix of Asian inspired salads on offer. Forget plain old coleslaw or mixed greens, at Toshi you get to treat yourself to exotic toss-ups like the Black Mushroom Salad, the Crabstick Salad and my favorite, the Thai Green Mango Salad.
As a huge fan of sushi, and loved Toshi’s Spicy Tuna Maki and Ebi Tempura Maki.
Toshi also serves up a delectable variety of Dimsums. My favorite was their Shrimp Dimsum, and I had it dunked in a generous serving of fiery hot chili paste.
The Toshi buffet features a lives soup counter where diners get to choose from a wide array of vegetables and proteins to customize their very own pot of goodness. I created my serving of Tom Yum Soup with prawns, beef, a handful of mushrooms and a whole lot of beansprout.
The Toshi buffet includes unlimited house beverages, and this is inclusive of some of the restaurant’s signature cocktails. I loved the fruity sweetness of the Singapore Sling, and followed it up with a zesty, fresh Lemon Mojito.
Hubby loved their Sake, Japan’s best known liquor. At Toshi, it even gets served up in true Japanese style.
The dessert section of the buffet has a few intercontinental favorites including a mix of mousses, parfaits, cakes and cheesecake but it was the very traditional Asian specialities that got my attention:
The dinner buffet at Toshi runs from 7 pm to 11 pm, and costs AED 195 inclusive of soft beverages, or you can upgrade to the free-flowing alcoholic house beverages menu, valid for 4 long hours for AED 345.
The Toshi buffet theme changes on a weekly basis:
- Sunday: Sushi & Sashimi Night (Large variety of Sushi, Sashimi, Japanese Salads, Cold & Hot Appetizers, Soup & Hot Dishes)
- Monday: Asian BBQ & Satay Night (Mixed Asian Salads, Cold & Hot Appetizers, Soup, Satay & Grilled BBQ Dishes)
- Tuesday: Sushi & Sashimi Night (Large variety of Sushi, Sashimi, Japanese Salads, Cold & Hot Appetizers, Soup, & Hot Dishes)
- Wednesday: Chinese and Hotpot Night (Chinese Salads, Cold & Hot Appetizers, Soup & Hot Dishes). Wednesday nights are also Ladies’ Nights. Ladies enjoy 3 complimentary cocktails between 5-8pm and get 20% off the Chinese buffet!
- Thursday: Thai Night (Selected Thai Salads, Cold & Hot Appetizers, Soup & Hot Thai Dishes)
- Friday: 7 Asian Flavors Night (Speciality dishes from China, Singapore, Myanmar, Indonesian, Japanese, Vietnam & Thailand including Cold & Hot Appetizers, Salads, Soup, Noodle & Hot Dishes)
- Saturday: Sizzling Night (Buffet style including Sushi, Sashimi and Maki rolls, with live stations and specialty Asian sizzling dishes)
What type of Asian cuisine takes your fancy most? Go on, satiate your appetite, and head to Toshi! Toshi is located on the 18th floor of Grand Millennium hotel (Exit 36, Sheikh Zayed Road, TECOM), Dubai.Table reservations are highly recommended. Give them a call on 04 4299999.