I am a huge fan of natural, organic beauty products, and as a Dubai dweller, I am extremely proud of Shiffa, a home-grown organic beauty brand conceptualized and created by Dr. Lamees Hamdan.
The name ‘Shiffa‘ is derived from the Arabic word meaning ‘to heal’. Delving into the beauty secrets of ancient Arabia, the brand encompasses a unique holistic stance at skincare. At the Sephora Middle East event last month, I spent a good deal of time chatting with the ladies at the Shiffa counter. They are introducing a host of brand new products for Summer 2016, and many of their best-loved formulas are getting a makeover, ensuring they are now 90% organic.
I have been using the Shiffa Olive and Mint Cold Pressed Arabian Soap, and wanted to share my thoughts on this pretty parcel.
I absolutely love the packaging! The turquoise blue is so Middle Eastern, and if that wasn’t Arabesque enough, the actual bar of soap lying within the gorgeous little cardboard box has an evil eye embedded in it.
The star and moon, along with the little protective charm gives this bar of soap a mythical, zen look about it and is so in tune with the philosophy of the Shiffa brand.
This is a skin-loving, highly moisturizing soap that is loaded with the goodness of nutrient-rich olive oil. Created using the traditional Arabian cold process method where no external heat is used, the goodness of the natural ingredients are preserved making it ideal for use on the face, body and even the hair.
- Olive Oil: this natural oil has long been used by Mediterranean women to moisturize hair and body. Loaded with naturally occurring anti-oxidants and squalene, olive oil is prized for its deeply nourishing properties.
- Mint Oil: Mint oil is an excellent naturally-occurring toner that promises to keep the complexion clear and blemish free. It is also believed to be beneficial for stimulating hair growth.
- Sea Salt: loaded with essential skin-loving minerals, sea salt also has anti-inflammatory properties that help in maintaining a radiantly clear, smooth complexion.
Tezzy’s Experience with the Shiffa Olive and Mint Cold Pressed Arabian Soap
The packaging is almost too pretty to open. I was happy enough just looking at this bar of soap, intact in its artsy little box.
The soap bar itself has no distinct scent of its own. I was a little disappointed as given it is a ‘mint’ soap, I was hoping for a more pronounced zing of fresh mint.
When wet, the soap has a creamy texture quite unlike ordinary bars. What I really love about this soap is that it leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated (so different from how the usual bars make my normal to dry skin feel wringed out and dry).
A soap for the face, body and hair?! I was rather skeptical, but after a few showers of using this soap as a body cleanser, the moisturizing element convinced me to try it on my face and mane. I love a multi-tasking product, don’t you?!
I have used the soap on my face -the thought of using soap on my face is terrifying! But this is not a soap, it is basically a concentrated block of skin-loving, deeply hydrating olive oil and I love how creamy it feels when I rub it on. It leaves my skin feeling beautifully clean without any signs of tight dryness.
As the soap does not lather up like ordinary bars, it is a little tricky using it in place of a shampoo. However, it does a great job deep-cleansing from root to tip, and my hair has a certain bounce to it after a wash.
The Shiffa Olive and Mint Cold Pressed Arabian Soap is generously large at 100 grams, and I envision this bar will last me a good 3 months.
I love this bar of soap for its hydrating qualities, but wish it had more minty freshness added in.
What I LOVE About the Shiffa Olive and Mint Cold Pressed Arabian Soap:
- Based on old, Arabian beauty methods, this cold pressed soap is loaded with natural goodness I can feel on my skin.
- It’s proudly made in Dubai!
- The packaging is absolutely stunning! Makes for a beautiful gifting option.
- The size of this bar of soap is generously large at 100 grams.
- It is multi-tasking! Use it for the face, body and even the hair. One great product for head to toe 🙂
The ‘Not So Good’ About the Shiffa Olive and Mint Cold Pressed Arabian Soap:
- I was hoping for a zing of mint, but this bar of soap does not have any distinct scent.
- Like all Shiffa products, this soap does not come cheap ($21 for a 100 gram bar). However, quality organic beauty products come at a price.
Where can I buy Shiffa products?
The Shiffa skincare range is available at all Sephora stores across the Middle East.