I am a huge fan of Dr. Hauschka, and it has been a struggle finding their gorgeous, organic beauty products in the UAE. Then I discovered Bashara Care, an online beauty store operating in the UAE, and got super excited!
One of my favorite products from the Dr. Hauschka range is the Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream. It was my favorite facial cream during my late teens, and when my little parcel of Dr. Hauschka goodies arrived from Bashara Care (exactly one day after placing my order!), this little tube brought back a whole flood of memories.
They say a forgotten scent can transport you to another time and place. This is what the beautiful scent of rose in this luxurious cream does for me. The scent is all at once intensely rose, yet slowly settles down to a subtle hue of floral brilliance. It smells so ladylike, almost vintage in its charm.
Key Ingredients in the Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream
- Rose petal extracts and wild rose hips to nurture and balance the skin.
- Shea butter, rose petal wax and avocado oil to protect and retain moisture.
- Marshmallow and St. John’s Wort to soothe redness, hydrate and fortify.
*St. John’s wort (listed by its Latin name of Hypericum perforatum), may cause a phototoxic reaction when applied topically (Source: http://www.naturaldatabase.com).
Rose Day Cream is a classic in the Dr. Hauschka Skin Care range, capturing all the diversity of the rose to nourish and protect normal, dry and sensitive skin. Especially beneficial for skin prone to redness, irritation and couperose. The rich, luxurious formulation harmonises oil and moisture content, gently guiding the skin to a state of comfort, balance and radiance. – Dr. Hauschka website.
A Little History Behind the Dr. Hauschka Brand
Dr. Rudolf Hauschka was of German descent, and had built a reputation for his creation of natural medicines that omitted the use of alcohol as preservatives. He established WALA in 1935, but it was not till 1967 that the brand extended into the world of beauty with the introduction of the Dr. Hauschka range.
The Dr. Haushcka story began when Dr. Hauschka met Vienna-born cosmetologist Elisabeth Sigmond. Elisabeth was ordering WALA medicines to create her own range of skincare. Joining hands with Dr. Hauschka, they developed solutions for stable cream bases without chemical or synthetic emulsifiers, and created fragrance mixes from natural essential oils.
“When we developed these unconventional skin care products we naturally felt like rebels.” – Elisabeth Sigmund
My Experience with the Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream
The first whiff of that delicate scent of vintage rose from its metallic tube transported me back to my early days in university. The scent is all at once endearing, floral yet light.
The cream itself is very thick and rich, and you only need a tiny dollop for the face and decolletage. It is best to use this cream sparingly, as a little too much can make you look like a greasy mess.
Given it is so rich (and that it is a day cream!), it is a pity it does not have a built-in SPF, as applying yet another layer of sunscreen on this rich cream can be quite heavy on most skin-types.
After the cream absorbs into the skin (give or take 15 minutes), the complexion feels very hydrated and refreshed. The scent is very endearing, and lasts for quite a few hours.
Given the cream is densely rich, makeup application can be tricky business.
This cream is ideal for normal to very dry skin, especially for the skin-drying months of winter. I also find this rich, hydrating cream very comforting for travel (I did the long haul from Dubai to New Zealand and back this month, which meant 18 hours straight in a very dehydrating, compact environment of a plane).
I quite like the rather vintage-style tin tube, so different from today’s plastic norm. It also makes it easier to roll down and squeeze out more product as the tube gets used up.
Much after I have used this cream (even back in the day), I read online that the Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream contains St. John’s Wort, and that this can be really bad news for photosensitive skin. Thankfully I have not had any adverse reactions to the product, but if you have particularly sensitive skin, you might want to research on this a little more.
Benefits of the Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream
- Gorgeous rose scent, that is all-natural and derived from essential oils.
- Loaded with natural, skin-loving ingredients.
- Free of parabans, preservatives and chemical nasties.
- Very rich and moisturizing. Ideal for dry, dehydrated skin-types, especially the winter season.
- Perfect for travel, especially long, dehydrating stints in a plane.
- A little product goes a long way, just a little dollop will do.
- The metallic tube is handy for getting out more product, and looks rather retro!
The ‘Not So Good’ of the Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream
- Contains St. John’s Wort, and this can cause skin rashes for those sensitive to this ingredient.
- Can be too rich for certain complexions, or for the summer months in the UAE. For lighter hydration, you can try the Rose Day Cream Light.
- Given it is a day cream, it would have been ideal to have SPF included.
- The rich texture takes a while to absorb into the skin.
- This cream is not an ideal makeup base.
- At AED 103 for a 30 ml tube, this product does not come for cheap.
Pricing & Availability
The Dr. Hauschka beauty range can be bought online from Bashara Care. They offer free delivery within the UAE, and the parcel got to me the very next day after placing my order! Bashara Care also delivers to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain (expect delivery to these locations within 2 to 3 working days). Check out the Bashara Care website for a whole range of sought-after beauty products: www.basharacare.com
The Dr. Haushchka Rose Day Cream retails for AED 103 for a 30 ml tube.