Are you following me on Instagram? Check out my Kenya Safari highlight! Had a blast over the long Eid weekend in exotic Masai Mara, but more on that later. The very first question to hit me after making my booking with Musafir.com was ‘what are we going to wear?!’
The key to safari fashion is comfort. You will be out all day, mainly seated in a safari jeep and in a climate that changes from hot to cold throughout the day. Here’s my top tips for acing #SafariFashion :
- Comfort is key. Choose light, breathable fabrics like cotton.
- Most days, I wore my basic gym tees. They are made of super breathable fabric, dry fast when washed and require no ironing.
- Denims are ok (I love my super stretchy distressed jeans from American Eagle!), but cotton pants are far more durable for a safari. Look out for cargo pants with utility pockets to make life easier on the run.
- Given the extreme changes in temperatures throughout the day, layering is key. Carry a light jacket and a scarf.
- A cotton scarf is invaluable for keeping the dust off your face.
- Wear a hat, even if you normally wouldn’t. It will keep all the dust off your hair and shade you from the wind and sun.
- Cover up. Although many people do wear shorts on a safari, I personally prefer full-length pants with close, fitted ends to keep the bugs at bay.
- Don’t forget your sunglasses. Darker shades are best given the vast, bright expanses of game ranges in Masai Mara.
- Wear comfortable shoes. I would suggest slip-off sports shoes that are easy to walk in and can be removed easily for when you want to climb up on your safari seat for a better view through the jeep roof.
- Avoid loud colors, even black. Harsh colors can unsettle the animals, and black attracts insects. Put together a wardrobe of calming beige, khaki green and somber browns.