When you hear the words Mexican food, people often think of tacos, burritos, and street food, but Mexican cuisine is far more varied and nuanced than most people’s perceptions. Mexican cuisine is bold and fun, and who better than acclaimed Mexican Chef Federico Lopez to take diners on a flavourful tour of this colourful cuisine.
Chef Lopez’s interpretation of Mexican gastronomy combines the traditional Mayan flavors of the Yucatán Peninsula with a contemporary approach, representing an authentic taste of Mexico that revolves around a selection of ceviche’s, tostadas, and tamales.
From 16-21 September in Sayad (Emirates Palace, Abu Dhabi), experience Mexican cuisine like never before with a special à la carte menu prepared by chef Federico Lopez, owner of Taller Gourmet. His tantalising dishes will include black recaudo tuna tostada ceviche and squash carpaccio, alongside his signature Tik-in-xic snapper with Mayan salsa, and a sweet Tabascan chocolate, cinnamon and spiced mousse to finish.
The chef’s visit coincides with Mexican National Day on 19 September so book your place now for the fiesta of the year at Emirates Palace.
Chef Lopez has been kind enough to share a delicious Mexican recipe with us. This simple yet flavorful salad is loaded with healthful goodness, and exotic enough to be of fine-dining status. Impress your guests, and celebrate Mexican day like a pro!
Quelites Salad with Hibiscus and Edible Flowers
Makes: 5 serving
Prep time: 15 minutes
- Coriander leaves 100 gr
- Parsley leaves 100 gr
- Epazote leaves 100 gr
- Fresh amaranth bushes 100 gr
- Mint leaves 40 gr
- Basil leaves 40 gr
- Purslane 40 gr
- Mixed greens 40 gr
- Spinach 40 gr
- Green leaf lettuce 20 gr
- Red leaf lettuce 20 gr
- Watermelon 200 gr
- Edible flowers 10 gr
- Jicama 20 gr
- Lime juice 5 oz
- Lemon juice 5 oz
- Vegetable oil 20 oz
- Sugar 20 gr
- Natural strawberries 1 cup
- Squeezed lemon juice 2 oz
- Honey 3 spoons
- Remove the coriander, parsley, purslane, epazote, fresh amaranth bushes, mint and basil leaves, and put them aside with paper.
- Clean spinach, purslane and lettuces.
- Hibiscus flowers: heat vegetable oil and when reaches smoke point, deep fry the flower for 5 seconds, let them rest in paper, then coat in sugar.
- Cut jicama and watermelon into 1×1 cubes.
- For granita, blend everything well and freeze for 1 hour, shave on top when serve.
- For the vinaigrette we need to squeeze lime and lemon, strain the juice and blend it with oil, sugar and season with salt.